I often get asked what products are safe to use, non-toxic, and free of nasty chemicals. In a world of misleading marketing and information, I know firsthand that it can be extremely challenging to find safe skincare products. Products that I initially thought were "natural" often turn out to be loaded with harmful chemicals and toxins. Not to mention that no premarket safety testing is required for the industrial chemicals that go into personal care products or the chemical industry as a whole. According to the Office of Cosmetics and Colors at the federal Food and Drug Administration, “…a cosmetic manufacturer may use almost any raw material as a cosmetic ingredient and market the product without an approval from FDA.” (FDA 2012) Personal care products are manufactured with 10,500 unique chemical ingredients, some of which are known or suspected carcinogens, toxic to the reproductive system or known to disrupt the endocrine system. Scary stuff, huh?
So, what to do? I use the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep guide (they also now have a mobile app- which has come in handy many times!) to limit the amount of chemicals that I am exposed to. The EWG researchers have evaluated hundreds of safety studies and thousands of ingredient labels to bring top recommendations for what not to buy.. Based on this information, I put together a list of a few of my favorite products that I use daily.
1. Hugo Naturals Balancing Shampoo, Tea Tree and Lavender, EWG Score: 1
2. ACURE Facial Cleansing Creme - Argan Oil + Mint , EWG Score: 2
3. Om Aroma & Co, Pumpkin Seed Renew Serum, EWG Score: Not Available but is certified organic
4. Burt's Bees Mama Bee Nourishing Body Oil with Vitamin-E, EWG Score: 2
5. Boscia B.B. Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27, EWG Score: 3
6. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap, All-One Hemp Lavender, EWG Score: 1
7. 100% Pure Body Cream Coconut , EWG Score: 3
8. Acure Organics Day Cream, EWG Score: 2
9. Thayer - Witch Hazel Toner, EWG Score: 2
Here is a great chart to help navigate everyday products by the EWG.
|Soap||Avoid: triclosan and triclocarban.|
|Skin moisturizer and lip products||Avoid: Retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, retinoic acid and retinol in daytime products|
|Hand sanitizers||Pick: ethanol or ethyl alcohol in at least 60% alcohol|
|Sunscreen||Just say no:|
|Hair Care||Avoid or limit:|
|Nails||Avoid: triclosan and triclocarban|
Have you made the switch to clean skincare? I would love to hear some of your suggestions.
Source: Environmental Working Group, Skin Deep, Glamour