I love, love fish tacos! A summer favorite, I usually make my fish tacos with grilled white fish and lots of lime juice. I'm switching it up and using shrimp in this recipe, which was inspired by my recent trip to St. John's in the USVI. On the island there is a tiny spice shop that sells authentic caribbean spice mixes, hot sauces, and teas. I picked up a colorful blend of "Black Voodou Grilling Spice". It includes paprika, white pepper, cayenne, garlic, onion, and thyme. Shrimp definitely is the perfect companion for these spices and with Cinco de Mayo around the corner this is a winning recipe.
These tacos are the easiest! The hardest part is letting your shrimp marinate prior to cooking. However, once you remove your marinated shrimp from the fridge, these tacos take less than 15 minutes to arrange. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal or summer dinner party.
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon honey
- sea salt
- juice from 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas ( Hard or soft shell)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 ripe mango, sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- fresh cilantro ( use liberally)
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt ( optional)
1. Combine all spices, olive oil, honey, and lime juice in tupperware or large Ziploc bag. Add shrimp; shake to coat. Marinate shrimp in mixture for at least 30 minutes or longer. Refrigerate shrimp while marinating.
2. Remove shrimp from bag. Heat a large grill pan or cast iron pan over medium heat. Coat pan with a touch of olive oil. Once pan is hot, add shrimp and cook 2 minutes on each side until done.
3. Place 2-3 shrimp in each taco shell. Divide diced avocado, sliced mango, and red onion in each taco shell. Add a dollop of greek yogurt and garnish with fresh cilantro.