Romanesco cauliflower (or broccoli) is one of those vegetables at the farmers market that looks too intimidating to purchase. It actually looks like a cross between a tiny Christmas tree and spaceship, a very strange looking veggie! The good news is, that this veggie is not so intimidating as it looks. You can prepare it the same way you would as regular cauliflower and the taste is also very similar but a tad nuttier and earthy in flavor. If you can't find romanesco cauliflower regular cauliflower will work great too.
This is a festive side dish for that packs quite a nutritional punch. Romanesco Cauliflower, part of the brassica family, holds similar nutritional benefits to cauliflower and broccoli. The main highlights are its anti-cancer properties, high vitamin C content, and dietary fiber. Cranberries have an amazing array of phytonutrients ( the natural protective chemicals in plants). These include phenolic acids, anthocyanins, and flavonoids, which all have been studied for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties.
- 1 large head of Romanesco Cauliflower, cut into pieces. * You may need 2 if small heads*
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1 tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp grass-fed organic butter, unsalted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Place cauliflower and cranberries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and roast for an additional 10 minutes or until edges are browned.
- Melt butter in small melting pot. When melted add balsamic vinegar and honey to small pot. Simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes until it becomes thick. Keep a careful eye on this as you don't want to burn it! Remove from heat and set aside.
- When your vegetables are finished roasting, put them in a large bowl to combine. Add 1 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary and stir to combine. Drizzle honey balsamic glaze over vegetables. Combine well. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.